Have you ever had those days when you sit down to write and the words flow out of you like you’re freakin’ Shakespeare?
Those are the days it feels awesome to be a blogger.
But then there are the days that your brain is so empty, you couldn’t come up with a topic if your life depended on it.
Those days are decidedly less Shakespearean. Those days happen to all of us. Generating hit post after hit post is hard work!
The success of your blog rests squarely on the success of your content. That’s just how it is. In order to keep your audience happy, you have to keep giving them the good stuff.
The good news: there are tricks and tools out there to help you generate awesome ideas until the end of time.
The better news: I’ve compiled a list of those tricks and tools for you right here!
At the end of the post, you will be fully equipped to generate blog post ideas for days. Ready?
Do You Have a Content Schedule?
The first step is to make sure you have a content schedule for your blog. I wrote about how to create one at great length in this post. If you don’t already have a content schedule, now is the perfect time to make that happen!
Okay great. Now that your schedule is set up, let’s talk about how to fill it with content ideas.
Do You Have a List of Keywords?
The second step to generating post ideas is to pull out your handy dandy list of keywords. If you don’t have any idea what I’m talking about, refer to this post:
Basically, a keyword is a word or phrase that describes the content of your post. For example, if you’re writing a post about how to make a kick-A key lime pie, your keyword would be “key lime pie”.
Your keywords inform the purpose of your blog. If you’re a young adult food blogger, keywords for your posts could be things like “key lime pie”, “recipes for broke college kids”, “frat boy meals”, or whatever.
It’s helpful to have a list of keywords that you can use to generate content ideas. For the purpose of this post, a list of keywords will be especially helpful in the last section, when we talk about online tools for generating content ideas.
5 Tricks to Come Up With Blog Post Ideas
- Write ideas down as you have them. Have you ever had a really good idea just as you were closing your eyes to go to sleep? I have, and I am always convinced I will remember it in the morning. I literally never do.
If the inspiration for a blog post hits, write it down that second! You can jot down a note, make a voice memo, whatever. Just get that idea down before it floats away. That way, you’ll always have a list of ideas to pull from when it’s time to write a new post.
- Answer FAQs. Take a little poll of your blog’s comments and your emails with customers. Are they asking similar questions? If they are, that is a great idea for a blog post!
- Read other sites and use their ideas. I know this feels like cheating. And what I am not telling you to do is plagiarize someone else’s work. But using other blogs in your niche to help you come up with ideas is totally cool!
Did someone in your niche write a cool post, but leave a hole of information? Fill the gap with your own post. Did they make a list of five helpful tips? Make a list of ten. Use the ideas of other bloggers as a springboard for creating your own stuff.
- Use your old posts. Do you have an old piece of content that did well when you posted it? Go back to it! See if there is an idea you can extract and expand into a new post, or a different angle you can take on the original idea. Or, consider revamping that same post to bring it up to date.
- What’s going on in the world? Check out sites like Google Trends to find out what current events you can spin into content for your blog. You never know what could be out there.
5 Tools to Generate Blog Post Ideas
Did you know there are tools on the Internet that will come up with blog posts for you? You just have to enter in some keywords!
(Remember when we talked about having a list of keywords? Boom.)
Seriously, these are fun to play around with.
- HubSpot’s Blog Topic Generator. Just type in any three keywords, and this tool will give you five headline ideas.
- Portent’s Content Idea Generator. This little guy is super fun to use. Type in your keyword, and Portent will give you a headline idea, plus helpful tips and ideas to jog your creativity.
- Content Ideator. This tool will give you headline ideas for DAYS. You can scroll through 90 pages of headlines to find an idea you like.
- TweakYourBiz Title Generator. I love this one. TweakYourBiz takes the keyword you enter and gives you a TON of headlines, organized by genre, like Lists, How-To, Questions, Best, etc.
- Build Your Own Blog’s Idea Generator. This tool gives you a headline idea with a blank spot. You don’t type in anything, you just click the “Generate Blog Post Idea” button and fill in the blank with your keyword of choice.
So there you go.
Coming up with a lot of blog post ideas sounds daunting, but if you use the right tools you can do it quickly and efficiently. You’ll be churning out quality posts for years to come!
P.S. How do you come up with blog post ideas? I wanna know! Comment below or shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.